Replacing felt with Rubber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace a felt garage roof with a rubber roof and have seen a few videos to familiarise myself.

I am planning to carry out the following:
- rip off current felt
- replace OSB boards
- lay down rubber roof with recommended adhesive and edge paste

I have a few questions please:
- given that my neighbour has a slightly higher felt roof as seen in the pic (approximately 40mm), how do I join/terminate mine
- where will I cut my felt given that her overlap pieces are on my left currently
- I will also need to introduce a slight fall to ensure water doesn't sit as it does currently. How do I do this given that the current joists don't support the fall
- which rubber roof should I use for this? e.g. thickness and quality

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20181207_083118842_iOS.jpg
    20181207_083118842_iOS.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
You can add firrings to introduce an increased slope and fillets at edge of roof ( which is how your neighbours should have been finished).This should increase you overall height and so neighbours will not be a problem.

as yours is joining a roof belonging to another, its not really a diy job tbh,

i agree with you its not DIY.

the suggestion ref firrings wont work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

How much should I budget for a new rubber roof and boards on top of my garage? I am based in the south east and outside London.

Sorry. Joining an epdm roof to a felt roof just doesn’t work, no matter how good the jointing kit is. Rubber roofs are best for stand alone roofs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back