Rubber roof on garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a project to replace the current felt roof on my garage with a rubber roof. As part of this, I am planning to replace the PSB Boards too. I need a bunch of advice please:

1. How easy/difficult will it be to lay OSB Boards across this space to level it in a way that all the water heads to my gutter at the back?
Here are some pics.
upload_2020-10-17_20-21-40.png

The left side joins to the house. The right side joins to the neighbours garage (felt roof - recently replaced). The back of the garage joins to my extension.

My drain is where the arrow is pointing and ideally, I would like to divert all the rain water here:
upload_2020-10-17_20-24-42.png

It's not very easy to see but this part of raised as there is an RSJ under here. I was hoping to raise the OSB boards along this side of the wall to create a slope for water anyhow.
upload_2020-10-17_20-29-12.png

2. Which rubber do you recommend I use? There are tonnes of different types - including some fleece backed ones I have seen recently.

3. How do I handle the join to my neighbours roof? I was thinking that I could lift the edge of her felt, stick my rubber roof under there and then use the compression bar?

I'd really appreciate your advice on the above and anything else that I may need to consider as part of this.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
get a rubber roofer in to take a look, but be careful many are not good so use someone who is recommended and knows what they are doing. I know a good one in Devon if thats your area

I was hoping to get some more input on this please. I would be grateful for any more advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your level of DIY skill, this may or may not be something you'd be better leaving to a professional. It's a significant step up from slapping down some Roofix as per your other thread :)

Is the roof already pitched slightly to the drainage edge? If yes there's likely nothing or very little needing done in that regard assuming the underlying roof construction is still sound and sufficiently pitched.

I know this is a DIY forum and you'll no doubt get lots of great advice, however can I also suggest you look at other online resources via Google search. Lots of companies and professional tradespeople put guidance videos and documentation online. As I say, only you know if you have the relevant level of skill to complete this job. If you're in doubt, I'd say leave it to someone else otherwise you could theoretically be opening up issues for your property and your neighbour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back