replacing fireplace hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I pulled up my old hearth and it took about 1 inch deep of concrete floor with it.

I need to lay a new marble hearth - the question is do I fill and level the hole left by the old hearth and once it has set then lay the new hearth , or can I fill the old hole and set the new heath into the cement when wet?

Sponsored Links
I would fill the hearth and let it set and then place the new hearth over the top and bed it down with fresh mortar. It would be possible to do it the other way but it may be harder to get it level by placing a marble hearth into wet cement.

I was talking to my uncle (architect/builder) about fireplaces and hearths. He informed me that hears must not be level with the floor to conform to regulations. I think you can only get away with it if it has been there for a long time.

Meblin

Thanks for the replys. - Meblin , the hearth will not be level with the floor , it will set into a level floor but will actaully be 2" above it.

Sponsored Links
a1topdog said:
Thanks for the replys. - Meblin , the hearth will not be level with the floor , it will set into a level floor but will actaully be 2" above it.

OK :)

I would level 1st them as you will be able to reposition/rplace hearth at a later date.

Meblin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back