Replacing flat porch roof - tips and info!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys, just sounding out a few experienced folks on this one.

I have a small porch (1 metre by 1metre) and then that steps down into another section of flat porch roof about the same size. (these give the porch some extra length basically and were there from eons ago.

They are leaking quite badly and the time has come to re roof them.

The porch roofs are flat.
The main one joins the house at 90 degrees.
The wooden timbers around the outside are all rotten.
There is some manky ply wood visible on the underside when looking up at it.

I was planning to:

rip the roofs off and make new timber frames, then use quality felt and external ply as the flat base (top side) for both sections.
Then cover this with good felt and use Code 4 lead flashing to join the felt to the house so to speak.

A few questions though:

What angle is optimum for the flat roof? there is no specific drainage on it presently (eg guttering etc!)

Will lead wedges and some lead sealant (wickes stuff) be ok to join it to the brickwork pointing gap and should I use the sealant to seal under the overlap where the lead meets the felt on the roof?

Sponsored Links
Is there a enough room for a low pitch roof tiles? No more leaks this way ;)

Hi. When using a disc for cutting a joint in brick work or render to accommodate lead flashing we us the sealant ( the joint is to tight to point with mortar ) If you take out a full joint mortar would be my preference. The sheet lead cover flashing should not be sealed to the felt up stand as :-.

1. Should you need to replace the felt in the future you will probably rip the lead out as well.

2.The two materials expand at different rates.

3.Any movement/ shrinkage of the roof will cause stress at this point.
Good Luck

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back