Replacing flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve been taking a cooker hood apart to clean it. For various reaons, I ended up having to cut a grey flex that leads into a fused connection unit on the wall of the kitchen (power was all off anyhow..).

It was a 2-core flex with a grey jacket (shown in image). On it, a marking says “300/500 V”. I bought a new white flex from Wickes, but it says “maximum rating at 240 volts...”. Is that a problem?

If not, where could I get a suitable wire that can deal with the appropriate voltage?

( I chose this new flex because, just like the old one, it is 0.75 mm2 and has two cores which are blue and brown. I presume the jacket colour doesn’t matter. Label is also attached; the cooker hood model is ancient, and has modern equivalents like this)

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• old flex.jpg
    old flex.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 159
  • new flex.jpg
    new flex.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 158
  • label (2).JPG
    label (2).JPG
    232 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats the guide for the current rating of the cable only, the actual cable may have a higher Voltage stamped on it, most cables that size are 300V or higher, which well exceeds the Uk voltage
Your hood does not exceed either current or voltage so i agree its fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back