Replacing floor standing boiler when wall space is limited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old floor-standing Gloworm CH/HW system which is sited in what was the kitchen fireplace, using the old chimney with an aluminium liner. It still works well but is inefficient.

From what I've read here a direct replacement wouldn't be possible because all boilers now have to be on an outside wall.

We have a fairly large 1900s 4 bedroom end of terrace, but there is a full-width conservatory on the back of the house and nowhere that I can see to site a balanced flue. I don't want to have to put a replacement in a bedroom if I can possibly avoid it and the bathroom is too small and narrow.

Before I start looking for local CORGI fitters and inviting quotes for the work I'd like to have some idea of the options so I can take an informed view of what I get told and know what questions to ask.

From reading other threads it sounds as if it might be possible to site a balanced flue boiler in the loft, perhaps on the party wall, venting through the roof. Is this a potential option, and can anyone tell me the pros and cons?

Roy Ayres
Eltham, London

Sponsored Links
NOT ALL boilers have to be on a outside wall. Most new boilers have a multitude of flueing options available.

Halstead, although they do not have one of the better reutations, have a flue liner kit that enables a new condensing boiler to be fitted in your existing position.

You may have to use a condensing pump as an extra but a normal open vented boiler could be fitted there.

I personally have found that although Halsteads are reasonably cheap, their worse reputation has been caused by DIY or cowboy installers not fitting them correctly.

With use of plume diverters, flue extensions and the likes, you can put a boiler almost anywhere you like, and if all else fails, loft is fine.
Bearing in mind that there will be quite a bit of extra work anyway getting rid of all the old junk and bringing it up today’s spec, the bit of money for a new gaspipe to the loft should not make much difference.
Most important part though is finding a good installer, strange as that may sound.

When I pressed a Halstead rep on the price of the flue kit it was stated to be about £500 !!!

So although its a possibility to have a Halstead in the centre of your house and flue it up the chimney it will not be a very cheap solution!

Tony

Sponsored Links
That must have been for the 30m length Tony?

I've been quoted £330, still very expensive though, although when fitting a vertical flue option I find this adds £200- £300 to the installation generally.

Question? The Halstead flue, is it flexible and one complete length, thought I read in Installer that all flue joints had to be accesible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back