Replacing floorboards

D

Deleted 218762

Hi Guys

Hope I'm ok to ask a couple of questions

I want to tile my bathroom. Boards are a bit wonky so rather than overboarding I'm planning to replace them.

Will 25mm WBP ply do the trick or does the situation warrant more?

The tiled area is 1.7m x 1.6m, 2"x7" joists at 14" centres. The boards being replaced are 22mm std T&G floorboards

Finally - the boards run right under the internal wall so I'm going to have to try to cut them halfway over the joist that runs under the internal wall.

Is there a trade trick to this or do I just have to slowly run a handsaw over and through the boards - angling the blade inwards under the partition wall in order to get my cut over the joist.

I'm not looking forward to it but its one side and 1.7m long so a bit at a time will get there eventually!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
if im reading this correctly,you dont want to overboard but you want to cut strips of wpb in place of the gash floorboards?

why?

im sure if you read up in here you will see that the general info is to overboard,because the boards will move at differing rates and crack the tiles.

so in my opinion will be a waste of time doing the work.

I'm not planning to cut strips of WBP - just lay it in (probably) 4 pieces.

I'm surprised to hear you say it would be worse than overboarding - i thought I was planning to be pucker by getting rid of the wonky stuff rather than hoping that if I screwed board to it in enough places that it would be ok.

Also - would expansion/contraction of the WBP happen whether it is overboard or not or does the floorboards underneath help with that? I thought people laid WBP specifically to give a good base for tiles.

Hmmmm - more research for me perhaps

Thanks for your reply

Replacing the existing floorboards with 25mm WBP ply will give you a very solid base for a tiled floor.

I'd cut the existing boards along the edge of the joist and then screw a good sized baton to the edge of the joist for the new 25mm ply to sit on and then screw the ply to that.

Make sure that any joins in the ply are either on top of a joist or you put in a noggin.

Sponsored Links
25mm Ply should will be more than enough. I think the minimum recommended is good quality 18mm. Use a batton and noggins as Lower suggested above.

Don't tile directly to the ply - overboard the ply with 6mm hardie backer / similar or if there's UFH or it's a wet room - Marmox insulating boards / similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back