Replacing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace an entire floor surface (i.e. all of the floorboards). My intention is to have a wooden floor of some description. What are my options, please? In fact, what are my most, shall we say, "cost effective" options. From what I've been able to find out so far, simple new floorboards would cost me about £400, plus either trying to install them myself (I'm willing to try...) or pay someone else to do it (estimated cost is £800, maybe including VAT or maybe not, because I never did get an answer as to whether the price I was quoted included the VAT or not...).

So ideally something simple to install that either costs less than £1200 (+ or - ...), or even better something that costs me less than £400.

Sponsored Links
What are you installing this on top of? Joists?
What will the final finished surface be? Carpet?

Other than traditional floorboards, your choices are plywood, OSB, and chipboard - in decreasing order of cost.

What are you installing this on top of? Joists?
Yes, joists.
What will the final finished surface be? Carpet?
I'd hoped for a wood finish to be honest. Either straight from floorboards themselves or a top layer of something or other on top of...
your choices are plywood, OSB, and chipboard - in decreasing order of cost.
Purely in terms of cost of materials for that bottom layer, you're correct, but given I don't want carpet (see above), it does look like floorboards are actually cheaper in terms of material than anything else, yes? With anything else - plywood, etc. - I'd need to put a top layer of some decent looking flooring on top of the bottom layer. I'm thinking though that something like plywood + that "decent looking flooring" would be easier to install than floorboards (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why do you "have to" replace the floor? Most people would fix and small issues then fit a new top layer of engineered wood or laminate on top
That is probably the cheapest

The laminate in my bedroom was hombase at £3.50 a sq m it is pretty crap but imho fine for a room that I am in and can see the floor for 15 mins a day

You could source old floorboards and sand

Sponsored Links
Why do you "have to" replace the floor?
You really want the long version?

In order to install central heating I need to get under the floor. In order to get under the floor I need to be able to lift floorboards. In order to lift the floorboards I need to remove the flooring tiles (that contain asbestos). The tiles don't come free from the floorboards, even the professionals couldn't do it. The whole floor covering has to be junked.

Old floorboards seem to be more expensive than new, by the way.

It sounds like you correctly understand the issues.

A couple of other things to consider are acoustics and thermal insulation. If these are upstairs rooms, bare floorboards will be noisier for people downstairs than e.g. chipboard + fibreboard underlay + laminate. While you’re there, put some acoustic mineral wool between the joists too. Downstairs, take the opportunity to put thermal insulation between the joists (and lag the new CH pipes) whatever flooring you use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back