1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing friction hinges to timber casement window

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by andyedinburgh, 15 Sep 2021.

1. andyedinburgh

andyedinburgh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our bathroom window it's starting to leave a little gap on closing so I've bought new friction hinges to fix the problem.

I've managed to find identical hinges to the originals so the holes should match up

Only one problem, the hinges are embedded in a "groove" and I'm really struggling to move them out. I've tried levering it up with a screwdriver and had some luck but not at the middle of it and I'm worried i break something. I can't get the top one to move at all and levering it up is starting to dent the wooden frame. I've taken all the screws out when I'm doing this obviously.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you able to remove the casement and use the hinge arm for some lateral leverage?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. andyedinburgh

andyedinburgh

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually i think i might be able to remove the hinge from the top of the window - need to buy an offset screwdriver first. But maybe that's how they did it.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only thing holding them is dirt and grime assuming you removed ALL the screws.?

6. Sponsored Links