Replacing friction hinges to timber casement window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom window it's starting to leave a little gap on closing so I've bought new friction hinges to fix the problem.

I've managed to find identical hinges to the originals so the holes should match up

Only one problem, the hinges are embedded in a "groove" and I'm really struggling to move them out. I've tried levering it up with a screwdriver and had some luck but not at the middle of it and I'm worried i break something. I can't get the top one to move at all and levering it up is starting to dent the wooden frame. I've taken all the screws out when I'm doing this obviously.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_190413020.jpg
    IMG_20210915_190413020.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Are you able to remove the casement and use the hinge arm for some lateral leverage?

Actually i think i might be able to remove the hinge from the top of the window - need to buy an offset screwdriver first. But maybe that's how they did it.

Sponsored Links
Only thing holding them is dirt and grime assuming you removed ALL the screws.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back