Replacing fuse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I have an small ultra-sonic cleaner that I use for cleaning my glasses. Unfortunately, it has stopped working so before discarding, I thought about a repair.

Opening, and I find the internal fuse has no continuity. It is a 5mm x 20mm and has the marking F5 and F1L250V. The circuit board has 1A.

I know little about the electronics but am happy to replace the fuse. My guess is that it is a fast blow 1A x 250V with lead. I see on eBay, there are numerous available but the physical size is different. If I buy a different size, is this a problem? (there is plenty of space on the board.)

Would any marked 1A 250V and listed as fast blow be OK?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Is there a ratings plate on the cleaner? What size fuse is in the plug? Do you mean there is 1A written next to the fuse? An internal fuse blowing would could mean there is a fault on the board so just changing the fuse is unlikely to effect a repair as it will just blow again. On the other hand it could be underrated & replacement may well cure the problem temporarily until it blows again. Seems like you have little to lose if you are going to scrap it. This one has the same physical dimensions & rating as yours. https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosma...ocphy=1006894&hvtargid=pla-671757925899&psc=1

Thanks for your reply. Guess I did not think it through regarding why the fuse has blown. But the fuse is on the power input side of the board so I assume that the current is only going in one direction. The fuse in the plug was fine.

I made an executive decision and have bought a pack so will update when replaced. Thanks for the link; the actual fuse has leads on each side.

Are the leads pre-soldered to the fuse caps, if so you may have problems soldering them to new fuses without unsoldering the fuse wire inside which would rather defeat the object.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are. The one I have removed seems to have a normal looking fuse with another 'cap' covering each end, to which the lead is soldered. I have been trying to remove the cap but I'm sure I will distort them, making them unusable. I will try to solder a short length of copper to the side of the fuse when I receive them.

This fuse is after the internal transformer so will be protecting the board. If my 'fix' does not work, so be it; at least I tried!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back