Replacing Garage Door and Timber Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks. First post on here, so excuse me if I'm being a bit of a numpty.

I'm intending on replacing my old steel garage door with one of Wickes' GRP doors. The existing canopy door is falling apart. The counter spring is shot, the runners are shot. But most importantly, the existing timber frame is long past saving.

I've had a grub around with a torch, and can see that the existing frame is attached to the wall using some heavy spikes which appear to be embedded into the masonry of the garage walls.

I guess that when I pry off the old frame, two things could happen. Either the spikes pull out of the masonry (would they be tanged to stop this from happening?) or they'll stay in place.

If they remain in place, should I re-use them for the new frame? If they pull out, or aren't usable, what's the recommended way of attaching the new frame to the masonry? Some sort of expanding bolt like a Hilti bolt?

I noticed that the garage door frame at my brothers 3 year old house appears to be constructed in the same manner as mine is now, and mine is 30 years old!

Sponsored Links
The frame has been built into the wall using the spikes, to replace remove spikes and use bolts as you mentioned.

Ok. Thanks. The frame is about 70mm thick, so i guess I'll need a bolt at least 100mm in length, assuming I counter bore about 10mm deep for the bolt head to be flush with the frame. Would that be about right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back