Replacing Garage Window & Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am soon going to replace a window at the back of my garage and the access door (not bit main door jobbie).

I managed to get hold of a window for free :sneaky: but of course it isnt the right size for the existing window hole, so i'm going to have to cut myself a big hole in the wall to make it fit (y)

The current window is the same height as the brick wall, so there is no visible lintel, (i.e the top of the window is level with the soffit). I've had a look on the inside and there seems to be a piece of wood nailed to the top of the fame, with some mortar splashed in there for good measure, which doesn't look to be doing anything :eek:

There is one massive wooden beam which stretches from one wall to the other, and would appear to be the main structural support for the roof, of course i have no intention to mess around with that!

So i guess my question is, should there be another lintel on the inside? it would appear to be unnecessary, in which case, what is the best way to finish it off properly?

Capture.PNG

Above the window:
20200319_144241.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back