Replacing gas fire with solid fuel confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm wanting to replace my gas fire with an open solid fuel fire. I thought it would be easy but after speaking to a chap from the local(ish) fireplace place I'm really stumped. All the names of all the different parts is confusing me mostly and I can't figure out what I need. It's a 1930's house
Removal of gas fire is simple enough (and by Corgi), but then I'm left with the hole. I stuck a torch through the small vent holes in the existing gas fire and can't see any slope to speak of, which I was expecting, nor can I see any lining for the chimney which I was also expecting because of the gas fire.
The chap mentioned a 'hot box' which would cost over 500 quid; I was thinking all I needed was a fire basket and brand new they're about £150.

All I want is an open fire for coal and logs. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to fit please?! Estimated cost would be good too.

from front
IMG_0977.jpg

Vent
IMG_0978.jpg

Sponsored Links
Years ago things were done differently!
Chimneys were supposed to be parged, often they were not, even up to the war. Gas fires and boilers had few if any rules and if they did they were often ignored. It was normal to fit a piece of aluminum over a fireplace and cut a hole for the burn gas to rise up the chimney.
That is what you have.
A house of your vintage, that was built that way and has had a working fire ever since, would merely have had some sort of decorative fire place to look nice for the lady of the house.

Well the gas fire that's there now was only installed about 6/7 years ago by the [then] owners. Before that it had a proper fire; that's according to the neighbours.
I've done yet more research and am now fairly convinced that with a clay fireback with throat being fitted I should be able to use a fire basket in there.

Any thoughts?

Yes, fine, get it working and enjoy!
May I mention that 21 million homes have changed over to gas heating as living with gas is a lot easier than living with any other type of fuel.
Warn your lady that finding, cutting, storing, drying, carrying, loading wood followed by the constant dust and cleaning is a lot more demanding than using gas.

Sponsored Links
Loofa - pull the new stuff out then consider the next step. Also what's the facing made of - a fake marble/slate composite (eg. mdf laminate) or the real stone. If fake remove it also. You may not need to line with a clay fireback if you install an appropriate cast iron fire basket - check out www.direct-fireplaces.com and others for loads of ideas. But do get the chimney inspected, and probably swept, by a professional Chimney Sweep.

To pick-up on Perry's valid point about all the prep involved in lighting a fire - chopping sticks for tinder, crumpled newspaper, dirty hands, etc., consider using a gas poker to light the beast. You've already got a gas supply to the location so get the Corgi guy to terminate this with a bayonet connector for the poker. Pokers, flexes (pipes come in quite a few different lengths) and connectors are available at www.bes.co.uk and others. If you aren't old enough to remember when everybody had open fires you won't be aware of the ease of lighting a fire with one of these jobbies - pile the coal up, light the poker with a match, stick it into the base of the coals, when the fire 'is away' (a technical term) :cool: whip the poker out and turn off the gas. You are however, left with the dust issue.

Oddly, you've mentioned the very thing I'm going to do! Rip out what's there to get a good look. Get the Corgi cert once it's done, but I won't be keeping any gas lines attached; it will be a simple open fire and nothing more. Chimney sweep will be en route shortly after.
I grew up with an open fire so know all the maintenance and mess they make but its all part of the fun.
The existing facing is marble, but I'll verify it is once the old gas fire is out.

I'd be happier with the fireback in I think, as the heat will be (in theory!) 'thrown forward' by the jutty-out bit (more technical terms!). I can then put the fire basket in, assuming that there is enough space...
If the fire back proves to take up too much room then I'll build up the interior using fire bricks instead although I'm not sure how I would get the heat thrown forward in this case.

Will post some pics once I get around to all this!

Thanks for all comment, much appreciated

Loofah - some firebaskets have integral firebacks (cast iron).

keep the gas supply handy for when you get fed up with the open fire. I had an open fire but it cost to much to run. then tried the wood burner, also cost to much. now very happy with the gas fire. I sell any wood i get at a pound a bag and one bag will more than pay for the days heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back