Replacing gate valve from CW storage tank to HW cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace this as the existing one appears to have broken inside (open, but possibly not all the way). This is causing my shower pump to pull some air when the bath filler is on full tilt since the HW cylinder isn't filling fast enough to keep-up (that's the theory, anyway). I intend replacing the faulty gate valve with a full bore level ball valve (which I've already done on the gravity cold supply to the pump).

I've stood staring at valve and pipework and can't figure-out how I'm going to do this, for the following reason... if I drain-down the CW storage tank and run the hot taps (with pump off) until they run dry, isn't there still going to be a load of static water left in the pipe from the CW storage tank to the HW cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Not got a drain tap at the bottom of the cylinder if you're worried about the amount of water in the pipe?

As avon mentions though, get a few towels down and fire away :)

Not got a drain tap at the bottom of the cylinder if you're worried about the amount of water in the pipe?

As avon mentions though, get a few towels down and fire away :)

I have and it doesn't work! Mind you, that would also drain the cylinder I'd assume.

Sponsored Links
If the gate valve is above the cylinder then the cylinder will not empty when you replace it.Just turn off mains,drain down the tank and do it.

Or simply bung the outlet of the cold water tank and open your hot taps. That way you won't waste a tankful of water.

If you need air to enter the pipe after bunging the feed then either opening a compression nut a fraction of a turn or sometimes the spindle gland nut on the gate valve.

But as suggested a bath towel should adequately soak up all the water in the pipe.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back