Replacing Honeywell CM927 with Nest Heatlink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Stem,
I have exactly the same set up as Dwag. just after a bit of confirmation. I seem to have some linked lives in my set up, see picture. Wire at bottom of photo is my fused spur live coming into the BDR91 (NL) no earths connected, but assuming BDR91 is double insulated). There is then a link live between the two Lives in the left block and another link across to A. Top wire from boiler live is linked to A (live) N to N (left block) and grey (Connection 4 internal (room thermostat) on Vaillant ecoTec). So assume this is heat call? So on NEST, Boiler L to L in Nest, Boiler N to N in Nest and grey to 3 in Nest? Fused Spur L & N to L&N in Nest. What's confusing me is the two wiring diagrams in the Nest manual see photos, one seems clear but on the specific 230v combi boiler diagram it looks like I need a link wire from the L in the Nest to connection 2 in the Nest? And the L from the boiler to 3, but this must be the grey heat call wire, musn't it?
Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0459[1].JPG
    IMG_0459[1].JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Nest wiring 1.JPG
    Nest wiring 1.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Nest wiring combi.JPG
    Nest wiring combi.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 370
Sponsored Links
The first diagram is generic and describes what each terminal actually does. It is not a wiring diagram.
What's confusing me.....on the specific 230v combi boiler diagram it looks like I need a link wire from the L in the Nest to connection 2 in the Nest?
That is correct, it corresponds to the existing link on the BDR91 between L and A

And the L from the boiler to 3, but this must be the grey heat call wire, musn't it?
Terminal (3) from the Nest is the 'heating call for heat' it becomes live when heating is required and sends the live to the boiler to make it operate.

These drawings are only schematic. There are thousands of models of boiler out there all with different wiring configuration which will also vary depending on the layout of your property, the personal preferences of the installer and cables used. So, where the wires are connected will vary from installation to installation.

The way to look at is that you just need to swap the wires from each terminal at the existing BDR91thermostat receiver, to the corresponding terminals at the Nest that have the same function. Including the wire link.

There are two terminals marked L at the BDR91, they are electrically the same terminal, but the manufacturer kindly provide two for ease of installation. So, you will find it difficult to get all of the wires from them into the single L terminal at the Nest Heatlink, and may have to connect them to an additional separate terminal, or a junction box first to reduce the number of wires going into the Heatlink terminal.

All of the wires in BDR91 N = Nest 'Neutral'
All of the wires in BDR91 L = Nest 'Live'
All of the wires in BDR91 A = Nest 2 'Common'
The wire in BDR91 B = Nest 3 'Heating call for heat'

Make sure that when you make the connections that there aren't vast swathes of copper sticking out of the terminal as per your existing poor installation. The wire insulation should go just up to (but not under) the terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back