Replacing Horstmann C17 with HIVE - Wiring question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a HIVE installation kit, and have spent several hours today trying to work out how the wiring should go within the receiver. The closest I found was here:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/horstmann-to-hive-wiring-check-please.476261/

but it's not completely the same.

I have a room thermostat, the wiring within my current timer looks identical to the one in the post, which is for a gravity fed, part pumped system. I have a combi boiler in the loft (which is difficult for me to get to).

It looks like the wiring from the thermostat Sunvic TLM2253 goes directly to the current timer (would this be right ?), if this is the case, it will be easy for me to just remove it, as I can see all of the cable.

The current wiring within the timer is attached, and from what I can tell, the only cable going into 4 is from the thermostat. If the thermostat was removed completely, which cable should go in there instead ?

Do any adjustments need to be made in the boiler once the thermostat is removed ?. It's a Greenstar 24/28i junior.

I'm trying to save the cost of installation, and would like to fit it ASAP. It feels like it should be really straightforward, but i'm going around in circles reading forums.

Any advice or direction would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• C17_Wiring.jpg
    C17_Wiring.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,804
Sponsored Links
You are fortunate, yours is one of the easiest to change, all of the wiring is in one place.

The C17 is wired as below:

C17.JPG

The Hive [You need the single channel version for a combi] has the connections below.

Hive.JPG

So the N (Black with blue sleeve) and L (Brown) move across easily from the C17 to the Hive, like for like

Then you need to link the Hive terminals Live (L) and Common (1)

Now you need to disconnect the existing room thermostat cable completely, which is the right hand cable red, yellow, blue.

The grey wire (currently in the screw connector with the yellow) connects to the Hive terminal (3) Heating on

Edit: Sketch added.

Wiring.JPG

Last edited:
Great. I had a feeling it should be pretty easy. This will still work with the pump etc though ?

As far as the rest of the system is concerned, nothing is actually changing. The Hive simply replaces the programmer and thermostat, as it carries out both time and temperature control functions in one unit.

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate your help. I'll try and get this fitted tomorrow, and let you know how I get on.

OK i'm a fool. I bought the dual system after reading that it would work the same, but would be more future proof should I want to move property and take it with me. I'm assuming I need to use 4 instead of 3, but what about Common ?. There is no common with mine ?

You can fit the dual version and not use the hot water settings, If you can swap it for a single channel version of the Hive, personally, I would.

However, if you want to use the dual channel version, you can. N and L are straight forward as before, and the grey wire goes to terminal 4, 'heating on'

No link is required, the dual version makes the link internally.

Dont hi-jack an old post, the answers you require are completely different, Hi-Jacking is against site rules, and for very good reasons, start your own post and ask what you want to know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back