replacing interior door knobs - large hole through door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'd like to replace the existing brass twist action door knobs on all of my interior doors with a handle on a rose setup.
When i've taken one of the existing knobs off, there is a 58mm diameter hole through the door into which the mechanism fits.
Has anyone come across this before? Is it possible to buy handles that will do what i'm trying to do? or do i have to like with the knobs, or buy new doors - neither of which are attractive propositions..
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
or do i have to like with the knobs

Not sure what you mean by this, not sure if I want to know either :p

Depends on what door you have, are they painted? If so, just fill the hole with filler or you can cut a circular bit of wood and glue that in.

If they are unpainted or varnished timber, it will be hard to make a circular insert look good.

It sounds like you have American style knobsets. They are available in a large variety, including Privacy sets for bathroom doors, and locking ones with an insecure cylinder like you might find in a hotel. I don't like them myself, but you could easily fit a different knobset if you wanted. You can get them with a lever handle too.

I don't think filler will be satisfactory.

What are your doors made of?

mmm... i meant "...live with the knobs..."

the doors are moulded type, and having looked in more detail, the knobs are made by Weiser.

i'l have a look at the knobsets as suggested.

Sponsored Links
moulded hollow, or moulded solid firedoor?

PS
How many do you need?

I'd be interested in where you can get replacement American style knobsets. In my case they are marked as kwikset and sound similar with big holes chopped out of a molded hollow door with a big diameter rose covering it. The 2 knobs clamp together with screws from one side. The latch is 2.75 inches back from the door edge which I can't find in any of the sheds.

I'm looking to replace them because the laquer is wearing off and the latches are starting to wear.

I must have a look in my stockroom, I think I've got a part-case of lever sets. Sorry, I forgot.

i've just fitted a stainless steel knobset from these guys, and it seems ok...
http://www.securithardware.com

about £9 a set if you can find a stockist locally

That looks perfect, don't suppose you know what the diameter of the rose is? I haven't registered on their site as I'm not a trader. The omnly other thing I could find was an ERA one that looks far too much like a hotel room door handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back