Replacing joists to ground floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, right here goes!

I have taken a week off work to complete this diy project and need a bit of advice with the next process of laying new joists.

I have a lounge and dining room that has had the whole of the floors ripped out due to damp and ventilation problems.

We have now re-build the sleeper walls and now at the stage to start laying the treated 4.8m joists.

Can somebody answer these couple of question i have?

1: How far should I keep the joists apart from each other.
2: Where should i place the noggings to stop them twisting
3: Should I re-insert back into to the walls or am I best using hangers?

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
1. 16" (400mm) centre to centre.

2. There is a very recent thread on noggins/strutting between joists. If you have sleeper walls, though, your joists may not be too deep and you may not need strutting.

3. If there is no damp problem, stick them in the wall. Joist hangers are ok but it can be tricky to get them level.

Hi thanks for that,
Can you explain centre to centre??

Also somebody told me to start from the centre of the room first, is this correct??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
when ever i used to do this for various preservation companys,we would never put them into the wall.
what we used to do was where your footings step out 3 or 4 times knock off 1 of the steps(bricks)this then(normally) gave us a 9" flat,then using thermolite blocks we built up a sleeper wall,installed wall plates and then installed joists etc.
we also wrapped the ends if they were in close proximity to any wall so as to isolate any furthur problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back