replacing kitchen cupboard hinges without re drilling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to know if I can buy and replace the same hinges already fitted so I don't have to do any drilling. Pictures are below. All the pictures are of the same hinge.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can buy and fit replacement hinges without drilling but from the pictures it looks like the carcass is damaged. Have the holes for the hinge screws become damaged? This is a common problem. It happens due to the door being forced open further than the hinge is designed to allow thus stressing the carcass at the anchor point of the hinge (the screw holes).

If the carcass is damaged you cannot screw a new hinge into the original holes as they won't take a screw due to the damage. Let me know if the carcass holes are damaged and I'll advise further. If they aren't damaged then, as I have said, yes you can buy the hinges (the sheds sell them). You might want to consider 165 degree hinges. They will allow the door to open further thus there is less likelihood of stress on the hinge anchor points. Try these...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16131...ng-Concealed-Clip-On-Hinge-35mm-165-Pack-of-2

EDIT: Your hinges look like 165 degree hinges anyway.

Thanks for your details reply. Yes one of the the carcass, the one in the picture is damaged. For that one I was just going to stick the hinge plate in with araldite. I did but a carcass repair plate but it's not the correct size. I hope to replace the hinges on 4-5 doors and only that one carcass is damaged.

Many thanks for the link. Hopefully it will be exactly the same and the old ones. I think I might just order 1 pair to test. Yes the current ones I have are 165 degrees.

Sponsored Links
On the damaged carcass you could move the hinge to a new position but that will require a lot of work as the position of the hinge holes in the door will need to be redone and getting those right without a jig (which I doubt you have), is very difficult. Another option is to replace the carcass but that's expensive and a lot of work obviously. Some say you can 'plug' the holes in the carcass with araldite, resin or the like and re-drill the holes for the hinge screws but in my experience this only works for a very short period as the surrounding area of the hole just flakes away once its damaged in this way and any 'plug' just drops out.

I'd use a Hinge Repair Plate. This will allow you to use the original hinge, door, carcass and position of the original hinge. The plate allows you to screw into the carcass at a different position thus eliminating the possibility of a 'plug' popping out. I see that you have already purchased one but you say it wasn't the right one? Anyway, here's a couple of links to some if they are any good.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info..._id=434&Name=Hinge+Repair+Plate+-+Bright+Zinc

or here:

http://www.dri-sil.co.uk/driplate.html

EDIT: I was beaten to the first link :D

Plastic padding [car body repair paste] will repair any damage leaving it stronger than original, if the damge is not on an end panel you can always fix with timber screws thru both sides.

if the damge is not on an end panel you can always fix with timber screws thru both sides.

or if it backs onto another hinge use a small nut and bolt replacing ones screw at a time so the hinge stays supported

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back