replacing kitchen doors, size difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,I want to replace all my kitchen doors but my existing doors are 730mm high ,seems like standard door size is 715mm.
Will this be ok to replace 730mm with 715mm? Already bought new wall units from b and q so its just base units . I know I can get them made to size, but would rather not, just want to know if I can lose the 15mm (either at top or bottom or 7.5mm top, 7.5mm bottom) or will it look too silly.

Sponsored Links
You might be better putting this in the carpentry section on the forum, there you will get advice from kitchen fitters

OK, you can indeed fit the oversize doors, but you must use your own judgement here. Knowing the way the old ones were fitted is helpful, as any spacings (top or at the sides) can be noted.
Now however comes the tricky bit, the old carcasses may be thinner than the new ones, 16mm was the common thickness for carcasses but today 18mm is more common. Now I Know what your thinking, 2mm difference is not much, true, but it accumulates depending how many carcasses are in a row. This means that to centralize the old doors to the new carcasses will require the setting screws in the hinges to be wound back 2mm min. Some in the row more, seldom less, as these hinges were made with this adjustment built in to the hinges, you may be ok, but expect some other adjustments may be required.
Another point is the hinge fixings to the carcass, which will poss have screw starter holes or dimples for correctly sized doors, these you will have to ignore.
Other than that just let your doors protrude from the bottom of the new carcasses in line, and you should be fine...pinenot :)

Thanks for reply pinenot,didn't think about carcassing being 16mm,I'll check when I get in.As for doors protruding at bottom,my new doors will be smaller than the original by15mm not bigger,so the bottom of new doors will be higher than bottom of units,I don't think you will notice unless you lie on floor.might just buy 1 door see what it looks like .

Sponsored Links
Oops my mistake, could you post a pic of the doors, might be something that can be done!...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back