replacing kitchen doors, size difference.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,I want to replace all my kitchen doors but my existing doors are 730mm high ,seems like standard door size is 715mm.
Will this be ok to replace 730mm with 715mm? Already bought new wall units from b and q so its just base units . I know I can get them made to size, but would rather not, just want to know if I can lose the 15mm (either at top or bottom or 7.5mm top, 7.5mm bottom) or will it look too silly

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't think it would look too good, but are your new doors not pre drilled hinge wise, which will determine where the doors fit anyway?
John :)

doors will be pre drilled but i can still fix them to the cabinet where i want cant I ?

not easily you have 5mm pre-drilled holes
assuming you are going 7.5 up and down you will need a jig and fill the holes in to get accurate measurements
as your doors will already be a few mm short off the length for clearance there wont be much touching

Sponsored Links
Oops, I posted this reply to your post in windows and door section.

OK, you can indeed fit the oversize doors, but you must use your own judgement here. Knowing the way the old ones were fitted is helpful, as any spacings (top or at the sides) can be noted.
Now however comes the tricky bit, the old carcasses may be thinner than the new ones, 16mm was the common thickness for carcasses but today 18mm is more common. Now I Know what your thinking, 2mm difference is not much, true, but it accumulates depending how many carcasses are in a row. This means that to centralize the old doors to the new carcasses will require the setting screws in the hinges to be wound back 2mm min. Some in the row more, seldom less, as these hinges were made with this adjustment built in to the hinges, you may be ok, but expect some other adjustments may be required.
Another point is the hinge fixings to the carcass, which will poss have screw starter holes or dimples for correctly sized doors, these you will have to ignore.
Other than that just let your doors protrude from the bottom of the new carcasses in line, and you should be fine...pinenot :)

Can you post a pic(s) of the doors, there may be something that can be done!...pinenot :)

haven't bought new doors yet as still deciding what to do so cant send photo 'unless you meant send pic of old doors. Measured thickness of carcassing and its 18mm so thats ok.At the moment old doors are flush with bottom of unit and small gap at top but obviously can be adjusted to suit.measured units they are aprox 736 high so will have 10mm short top and bottom.Trouble is i've allready bought wall units so even if i find 730mm doors need 715mm for wall units! Bull in a china shop as usuall!

But if you've bought the units at B&Q as you say and from this last post your buying new doors, why in earth can't you get them at the right size, you've got me baffled.
Oh and yes I meant the old doors for what it's worth now...pinenot :confused:

only bought new wall units using existing base units,didnt think of measuring base units before I bought new wall units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back