1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing kitchen sink waste restrainer

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Diyisfun, 31 Mar 2013.

1. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am in the throws of replacing one.
    My plumbing friend said use, silicone, not plumbers mait.
    In the past I have always used plumbers mait, you can test for leaks immediately, using silicone do I have to wait for it to set before I check for leaks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mogget

mogget

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the silicone is just coating a washer or joining two flat faces, you should be fine to use it straight away. If however the silicone is filling a gap, you will need to let it set first.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jackrae

Jackrae

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One of the problems of using "slippy" goos like silicone on rubber washers is that, as you pull up the connection, the washer can actually "expand" and extrude out of the fitting due to the "slippy" sealant used.

If using a silicone type sealant I find Fernox LS-X excellent since it actually sets under water. Hence on something like a basin outlet, the system can be used within say 1 hour.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links