Replacing kitchen window/door? Easy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to replace my old wooden kitchen window and rear door for a new upvc one. The window and door is combine in one large unit/frame, see attached to get a better idea. I'm pretty confident i'm can install it but i'm a little nervous about measuring up accurately. Also, is there any savings in doing this yourself and purchasing direct from a manufacture? Or should i get a supplier/fitter in?

View media item 33494

Sponsored Links
Buiding Regulations require you to have a certificate of compliance for the replacement unit. You can get one either by using a FENSA registered installer or by notifying your LABC & paying a fee (approximately £130) who will inspect your window & installation & if there are no problems, issue you with a certificate of compliance; not having one may cause problems when you come to sell.

Frankly for one window DIY is not worth the hassle IMO as LABC inspection costs the same for 1 window as it does for 25. If you’ve no previous experience, there is also the cock up factor of getting the sizes wrong, making a right bralls of the installation or breaking the glazed units when trying to fit them. Shop around & get several quotes from local independent FENSA installers & let each know your getting quotes from others.

Be careful if you instal a fitter, very unlikely they will be FENSA registered, it’s the company themselves that are registered so you will still end up paying the inspection fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back