Replacing Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I wonder if someone can please help me.

I have ordered a new kitchen and have organised with a friend to install it. I am organising the relevant trades to do the technical bits.

Regarding the electrics, I do not envisage much needing changing, however I have been informed of a few things that will need to be done.

1) Earth the stainless steel sink or something

2) Install a cooker on off switch

3) I have bought some under cabinet lights that need to be installed.

Can anyone give me some advice on the complexity of the work needed, whether anything else will need to be done electrically and a rough idea of price.

Thanks in advance

George

Sponsored Links
1) Earth the stainless steel sink or something
Earth bonding the SS sink is no longer a requirement.

2) Install a cooker on off switch
Is there already an existing cooker supply wired direct from the fuse board/consumer unit? If not, it will involve not only a switch but running a new circuit back to the fuse board/CU. If it’s a really old fuse unit, it may not even be suitable to connect the new circuit to; mine was condemned for several reasons & I had to have a complete new consumer unit installed; luckily I had planned on doing this anyway.

3) I have bought some under cabinet lights that need to be installed.

Installing the under cabinet lighting is straight forward.

BUT; a kitchen is a special location &, since 2005, any electrical work carried out in a special location is notifiable to your Local Authority Building Control (LABC). Make sure whoever does the electrical work for you is not only an electrician but is Part P registered. He must test the new installation work, notify LABC & provide you with a copy of the test results & a certificate of compliance. If you don’t get these important bits of paper, it may cause you problems in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back