Replacing Lead Water Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently in the process of replacing a lead water main leading to my house. As usual the local water company are not being much use.

As I understand it, Im responsible for replacing the pipe, no problem, but trying to find the regs is a right pain.

I need to dig a trench from my external stop tap to my internal one (I have 2) which I believe must be 800mm deep? Anyone know if this is correct?

Second problem, I believe its prudent now to use blue plastic pipe, but what size? The current lead pipe is 15mm which is useless, so do I go too 22mm or is there a standard?

And my third.....My pipe goes up through a concrete floor in my house, do I need to maintain the same entry point or can I move it? In its current location I cant break the conctrete without removing my newly installed kitchen...so I have a bit of a problem.........any ideas?

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
PIpe should be 750mm deep in pea gravel. The pipes (blue mdpe) go 20,25,32,... mm. Ordinary house would typically be 25mm. Your water carrier (board) will be obstructive and pathetic and dumb but try to find out if they do connections for replacements of lead pipe for free(depends on your area). The new pipe is supposed to be the same depth where it goes into the house etc,... but it often isn't reasonable, so you can get away - if you ASK FIRST, with a pipe going up the outside of the house in a wooden construction filled with insulation.

Water boards have different departments for everything, which are incapable of speaking to each other.

Severn Trent were great, sent an information pack with everything you need to know....if the work was carried out by a watermark registered plumber they didn't need to come and check the work before the free final connection either.

Much less hard work to just get your new main moled in though, much quicker too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back