replacing leaking hot water heater and boiler, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my hot water cylinder is leaking badly and current potterton boiler is on last legs i'm told. we live in a tall, narrow (4 story) 3 br/3bath house, and water cylinder and boiler are in cabinet together on 1st flr, and there's a cold water tank on the top floor. there are pumps on 2 upper flr bathrooms. i am getting all sorts of conflicting advice - that we shld get a megaflow; just replace the cylinder; or that we shld replace heater and boiler w. combi. at this point was thinking of getting a combination boiler and a pump to get the water to top floor, i've been told worcester is one of the most reliable brands. any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything you need to check your cold mains pressure and flow rate.

What ever your pressure reading at ground level you will need to deduct approx 0.3 bar per floor you go up.

For an unvented cylinder you will need at least 3 bar and 20 litres/min to get the benefit of the extra cost involved.

The same applies to a good powerful combi, although no combi out there will supply 3 baths at the same time.

A pump will not be able to be fitted with a combi or mains unvented cylinder.

Sponsored Links
why is that? and what type of system boiler?

A system boiler is a boiler with pump, expansion vessel etc incorporated within its own casing.
You need to ascertain all your basic information regarding water supply pressure and flow, how much hot water you require etc before you can then make a good decision on what type of system you use. Find a good couple of local chaps and talk it all through with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back