Replacing Light Switches - Standard to Dimmer Wiring

Sponsored Links
No, He has purchased new 80w halogen lamps and doesn't want to pay for new ones.

Sorry, i'm very tired. I've said you can't use all those with that dimmer.

I'm on LED's now.

Down to just under a tenner a lamp.
EDIT: Typo.

Even if I replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs?
OH, to LED's, YES. You had said earlier you wouldn't pay any more.

I had said (I think) if you can find them in halogen at 20 watt.

EDIT: AGAIN: The data sheet I have posted links to state only use only guan teed to use Philips dimmable.

The new halogens were £8 for all of them. I don't mind another outgoing, just want to get these sorted.

Sponsored Links
So now you will need to comfirm lights you have are all working from the switched you have, and if that is the case, you will need a dimmer for each switch replacement you are doing. Also make sure there is an EARTH connection behind whether it is covered in green/yellow, tape or anything. If it has been cut, and you can not make it fit, you must use different enclosures. Or just post pics of what's behind each one.

No, He has purchased new 80w halogen lamps and doesn't want to pay for new ones.
I think a little quoting might help to clarify what you are talking about. Given this series of posts ...
Even if I replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs?
you seem to be having trouble finding any. I just Googled “r7 78mm led dimmable” .... And there are many. Even from Amazon.
Yes there are, generally @100W each, total 700 on a max 200 watt dimmer Sir...
... it very much appeared that you were saying that the "r7 78mm led dimmable" were "generally @100W each" :)

Kind Regards, John

No, I was looking for 20w halogen
Maybe you were. However, as I said, your post (which said that they were "generally 100W" came immediately after, and appeared to be a response to, TTCs post about the availability of suitable LEDs.

As I said, just a small quote would help us to understand exactly what you were responding/replying to :)

Kind Regards, John

I have found some 5w dimmable LEDs.

Would these be a suitable match on this setup?

I have found some 5w dimmable LEDs.

Would these be a suitable match on this setup?

I am not sure. Look for some sort equivalence/comparison chart.

You said you had two. It was too bright so removed one.

7*5 so 35 there if they were equivalent to your halogen.

https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/lumens_watts/

Quick look across that will give you about incandescent 30ish, Halogen 20ish.

7*30 watt bulbs total.

Now, will these LED with with your particular dimmer, you will need 3 unless you change the wiring to the fitting and remember tat Earthing issue.

I really can't believe I am doing this again, but a learning curve from me, I just used tape under cabinets or in pc cases.

Chat soon :notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back