Problem replacing dimmer switch with standard switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've decided to change the light switches and plug sockets in my living room after decorating and I'm struggling to replace the main light switch. At present I have a 2 way dimmer switch which I want to replace with a standard 2 way switch but unsure how to wire up as there are no labels / markings on the inside of the existing dimmer.

Attached are some pics showing the existing dimmer and wiring and the new switch I want to fit.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
As far as I can see it is not two way, it is just two pole, as to of it needs to be two pole don't know.

So question can you work the light from two different switches?

No, its just the one dimmer that controls two lights - one living room and the other in the hallway

At present I have a 2 way dimmer switch
No you don't.

upload_2018-7-3_10-37-49.png

which I want to replace with a standard 2 way switch but unsure how to wire up as there are no labels / markings on the inside of the existing dimmer.
upload_2018-7-3_10-41-3.png

Those go to one gang of your new switch, the others to the other.

Please spend a bit of time learning how it works - you ought to understand what you are doing, not be fiddling with wires without knowing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Its probably quite obvious that I'm not an electrician and don't know very much about electrics!

What I should have said was the label doesn't give much detail to the layman and isn't straightforward - the other switches that I've replaced like for like had COM, L1 & L1 markings so they were easy enough to change over. The label on the dimmer doesn't tell me anything.

I would love to spend some time reading up on how electrical circuits work but don't have time at the moment - I would really appreciate some assistance in wiring up the new switch as I'm unable to use the dimmer with the new ceiling light that I've fit.

dim_1.jpg

As the new switch has a metl front plate ALL the earth conductors in the cable MUST be connected securely to the Earth terminal on the switch plate.

Label the Live Feed conductor before disconnecting and "losing" it.

The two Comms nust be linked together.

If you are going to any more electrical work then you need to find time to read up on basic electrics. Just because "it works" does not mean it ia working safely.

don't know very much about electrics!
Not a good basis for doing electrical work.

What I should have said was the label doesn't give much detail to the layman and isn't straightforward - the other switches that I've replaced like for like had COM, L1 & L1 markings so they were easy enough to change over. The label on the dimmer doesn't tell me anything.
It tells you "connect wires either way round", which is what applies to COM&L1 or COM&L2.

They do, rightly, expect a degree of competence.

I would love to spend some time reading up on how electrical circuits work but don't have time at the moment
Unfortunately any reality of not having time will not protect you from any realities of problems and risks arising from attempting electrical work when you don't know what you are doing.

I'm saying all this not to criticise, or score points, but because it really is in your own best interest.

I would really appreciate some assistance in wiring up the new switch as I'm unable to use the dimmer with the new ceiling light that I've fit.
View attachment 144193
Those go to one gang of your new switch, the others to the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back