Replacing lintol with no Acrows - Brick brace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a job to replace a lintol and both needling and strongboys are impractical. I have seen something called Brick brace (tried to add a photo here but better with a hammer than PC), if you google you will find it.

I was hoping to find somebody that has used this method as reading the website it certainly seems like a brilliant idea but it almost seems to good to be true which is making me slightly nervous.

Also I guess that when using more than one the scaffold pole is just to ensure they are in level giving an even spread of pressure but has no other structural properties

Any advice/reassurance would be gratefully received

Russ

Sponsored Links
gallery3.JPG

Is this what you are referring to?

Looks really, really carp to me.

Yes John this it

I have to say it reads well on their website and the principle seems to be sound, I certainly would not attempt an opening this size but I have a single door opening and as I said in OP needles and strongboys are going to be really impractical.

They say that the SWL with strongboys is reduced by 90% due to the eccentric loading. I must admit I have never liked them that much.
You would hope that with the implications of this failing that the information on their site is not sales orientated and has some real substance

Thanks for your input

Would be really good to get a reply from somebody that has actually used this system

Russ

A similar system has been used in the USA for many years.
A steel plate is bolted to the masonry, and then below it is removed. Seems to work OK.

Sponsored Links
I certainly would not faff around with that poxy 'brick brace' thingy and definitely not for a single door opening.

If you have room to insert a lintel than you must have room for propping.

Are there any point loads directly above this proposed door opening?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back