Replacing low voltage lighting after BIG BANG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THE STORY / BACKGROUND
I have searched the archies of this great forum, and not really found the answers to my questions.

My bedroom has 4 low voltage downlights (they each have their own transformer which looks like its twenty years old)

A few weeks ago I entered the room switched on the lights and I what I can only describe as an explosion(ok large bang) and the lighting circuit tripped.

The room has 4 low voltage lights on a single light switch

A thought to myself.. ok just a bulb. Switched the trip back on, and then switched the lights back on. BANG !! same again.

Essentially I really don't know why its doing this, but I figured its just easier to replace them

QUESTION

After reading up on low voltage vs normal downlights. It appears that their is little difference to the average joe. Although the low voltage have whiter light because of the filament.

I'm not decided totally yet which to buy, but in terms of FIRE SAFETY are either of them safer ?

I see that you can buy transformers in different wattages, does this mean you can run more than one low voltage light from a transformer ?

Again in terms of safety, is it ok simply to leave a space around the lights in the loft ? ie. cut away any insulation ?

Sponsored Links
freestyle said:
THE STORY / BACKGROUND
I have searched the archies of this great forum, and not really found the answers to my questions.

My bedroom has 4 low voltage downlights (they each have their own transformer which looks like its twenty years old)

A few weeks ago I entered the room switched on the lights and I what I can only describe as an explosion(ok large bang) and the lighting circuit tripped.

The room has 4 low voltage lights on a single light switch

A thought to myself.. ok just a bulb. Switched the trip back on, and then switched the lights back on. BANG !! same again.

Essentially I really don't know why its doing this, but I figured its just easier to replace them
i strongly suspect that the fittings are fine and its just one of the transfomers that has failed (though i would replace all the transformers not just the one that has failed) probablly through overheating melting through the insulation inside the transformer

freestyle said:
QUESTION

After reading up on low voltage vs normal downlights. It appears that their is little difference to the average joe. Although the low voltage have whiter light because of the filament.

I'm not decided totally yet which to buy, but in terms of FIRE SAFETY are either of them safer ?
difficult one that probablly the mains ones are safer in fire terms because you don't have the transformers to fail but i doubt it makes much difference i've never heared of transformers failing in a way that causes fire

freestyle said:
I see that you can buy transformers in different wattages, does this mean you can run more than one low voltage light from a transformer ?
yes
freestyle said:
Again in terms of safety, is it ok simply to leave a space around the lights in the loft ? ie. cut away any insulation ?
[/quote]
should be fine the only time you need fire hoods is in situations where the ceiling is required to be fire rated. Thier job is NOT to stop the downlighters causing fire it is to stop fire spread through the hole

Thank you for that very tidy and clear response.

I think you've just about answered each question spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back