Replacing LPG boiler sytem advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We want to get rid of our dependancy on LPG for heating and hot water.

We are not on mains gas.

Here is some info about our house:

Semi detached
88m2 floor area
3 rooms downstairs
3 bedrooms
loft conversion

*LPG Gas*
Or whole house runs off 4x47kg cylinders - no space for a bulk tank. We use about 20-24 bottles a year running heating very lean.
We currently have a Vaillant eco tec 831powered by LPG - heating and hot water.
We are low hot water users, 2 adults and 2 young children. We have a mixer shower straight off the boiler.
In the winter months the heating is on most of the day at a low temperature - usually at 50 degrees on the boiler and 20 degrees on the thermostat.
We have 7 double panel double convector radiators throughout the house and a large towel radiator in the bathroom, which we only turn on now and again.
A few radiators have thermostatic valves installed.
We have mainly 10mm pipes to the radiators, 12mm to others.
We have an LPG gas hob.

*Electricity*
We have a 2kw PV solar system on the roof.
PV array since installation has produced 1000kw (16th May 2011 to 4th October 2011).
We have a dishwasher (cold feed), washing machine (cold feed), tumble dryer. All A rated apart form the tumble dryer.
We have an electric oven.

*House and Insulation*
The house was built in 1895.
Thick stone wales - no render or insulation.
2 external doors, not brilliantly insulated.
Original single glazed sash windows, windows in main living room are secondary glazed.
We have a loft conversion which is insulated with 50mm king span rigid insulation. But not brilliantly done - installed 10 years ago.
We have good insulation everywhere else in the roof - this was done professionally this year.
The roof has no felt with bare tiles on battens. Apart from the solar panel side of the roof which is now felted.
One velux window in the loft. roughly a metre square.
The down stairs floors are concreted.

---

I've done lots of reasearch and go round in circles.

I've had quotes on air source heat pumps - Danfoss AQ with Danfoss unvented concealed tank seems the best product IMO (about £12k though). However I've heard bad things about ASHP on here in general and am being put off this approach.

I keep wondering about air to air systems and keeping lpg just for water demands? We dont use much hot water and we will still need lpg for the hob.

We havent got space for biomass indoors, but we do have space for things outside. We also live next to a forest! But I imagine this will take over my life to top up the boiler everyday.

Any suggests most appreciated.

Budget of £8-10k.

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back