Replacing mains stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace the mains water stop cock, it appears to be on black mdpe 20mm plastic pipe going to 15mm copper

Can this be purchased in a brass fitting? I went to my local plumbing store who said I'll have to purchase the plastic version which costs 5x times more than the brass version! As the brass version won't fit

Is this true?

Sponsored Links
What is the current tap made from? It could be 22mm, in which case a 22mm stopcock will fit.

What is the current tap made from? It could be 22mm, in which case a 22mm stopcock will fit.

The current one is brass, i did explain this to the chap at the counter but he insisted a brass one will not fit the old black 20mm mdpe pipe

Sponsored Links
A 20mm brass stopcock should do the trick

Are you able to provide a photo?

Looking to replace the mains water stop cock, it appears to be on black mdpe 20mm plastic pipe going to 15mm copper

Can this be purchased in a brass fitting? I went to my local plumbing store who said I'll have to purchase the plastic version which costs 5x times more than the brass version! As the brass version won't fit

Is this true?
No = you've got 3/4 inch o/d Alkathene which was either high or low density. mdpe came in and is blue ;) As said brass 22 mm with 3/4"olive

No = you've got 3/4 inch o/d Alkathene which was either high or low density. mdpe came in and is blue ;) As said brass 22 mm with 3/4"olive

Ok, so purchase a 22mm brass stopcock not 20mm and fit a 3/4" olive with a 20mm insert on the black pipe?

Cheers all, will pop down to the plumbers merchant tomorrow and purchase a 22mm to 15mm brass stopcock and fit a 3/4" olive on the 20mm black pipe ;)

Mine is black as well. Is it 3/4" od and 1/2" id?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back