replacing mechanical timer with electrical timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hoping to benefit from your expertise!

We have an old mechanical timer, which controls (just about!) our gas-fired back boiler. We'd like to replace it with an swish electronic dual-control thingy, maybe a Danfoss FP715 - but I can't tell from their website whether you could use this one with an old conventional boiler like ours (don't know the make I'm afraid - suspect it's Potterton or similar). If I could use a new timer like the Danfoss FP715, how much work is it likely to be to install it? (I'm thinking qualified electrician here, not myself - but don't want to order an enormous/impossible job or be ripped off!) Would I need a whole new 'back plate' or whatever it's called?

Sponsored Links
All depends what sort of system you have ie. Y plan, gravity and what time clock /programmer is operating it now.

As I said, it's an old mechanical timer at the moment.

Don't know what Y plan means. It's a closed conventional boiler system, it has its own header tank and immersion heater.

If you tell me what Y plan means I can try and find out...

Sponsored Links
It is a Switchmaster 805.
I reckon the boiler may well be a Baxi back boiler.

Can't see why not, they are both standard twin channel clocks, just replace the backing plate and swap the wires around and away you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back