Replacing mini fluorescents with LED under cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says I am replacing several 12 inch long fluorescents under my kitchen cupboards. I am putting in full length LED from a roll. Removed everything without taking much notice hence my question.
I am left with a two core and earth coming from the wall light switch and also a single core ( black ) and earth coming out of the wall its difficult as I'm working in a few inches actually above the cupboards. Using a multimeter shows I get 240v between the red from the two core and the black single.
Can anyone please explain what to do as I was going to put the wires into a single socket and plug the led driver into that but now I'm confused.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi sounds odd ! And a bit suspect, can you post a picture please?

Are the two cables coming from the same place in the wall ?

It maybe a live from the lighting circuit and a neutral and earth from another circuit.

Regards,

DS

Cant get a decent pic. Two andvearth comes from light switch about 3-4 ft away ( can see where wall has been channelled ).. Single comes out above my cabinets.

Hi, the two core from the switch is it only the red that's used ?

Thanks,

DS

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes OK it sounds like a bodge !

The red wire is your switch wire and the neutral and earth are above the wall cabinets yes?

Option 1. Replace the twin and earth from the switch and run it up to the N+E and fit your un- switched socket ( clearly marked as lighting only).

You really need to establish that the N,E are on the lighting circuit and not 'borrowed' from something else!

Option 2. Remove the switch wire completely. Terminate the N+E into a join box to make safe.
Install a fuse connection unit as a spur from the sockets and use that to supply a high level socket to power your lighting.

Regards,

DS

So I can't use the red and earth from the twin, black and earth from the single and tape off the black from the twin?
Putting new cables in is not possible as the kitchen has just had new doors, worktops etc and been decorated.

If you can confirm that both supplies are on the lighting circuit, it would be safe.

You need an electrician to comfim this.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back