Replacing monobloc washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read many pieces on dismantling a tap but my mixer tap does not look straightward! I have located a screw on each tap on the sides of the swan neck. Do I need to remove the swan neck separately or will it all come off in one go? If I need to remove it can you advise how please. There is no screw at the back and although there is a collar around the swan neck I cannot see a way to take it off.

Sorry if its a stupid question! :oops:

Sponsored Links
"Tap is assembled" isn't usually a problem, so can you start with stating the symptom or problem that you're trying to remedy?

I have a dripping tap and I was going to replace the washer which seems to be the usual problem. but i am not sure how to dismantle the tap.

Depends entirely on the tap type. Unless it has two handles which go round and round it won't have any washers!

Sponsored Links
I haven't yet seen a mixer tap that needs the spout removed in order to servive the valves.

Do the handles have a cap that either unscrews or prises off?

If so, you'll find a screw hidden underneath - remove screw, lift off handle.

Then you'll find a valve body with a hexagon shape on which you can use a spanner to unscrew it.

See if you can get this far, and if the rest isn't obvious then just ask.

Thanks guys (or gals). The tap has a handle each side that goes 'round and round'. These do have screws, but I assumed that this would only take the handles off not the whole tap. I suppose I'll see when I get there. Keep putting it off! :confused:

Well I got the swan neck off (finally) and I had bought washers where I needed o-rings! WE live and learn. My main problem no is it did not seem to be the o-ring but the actual tap. This was installed when the house was built 4.5 years ago and it is actually SOLDERED to pipes!!!!

Is this usual? Are there not regulations to stop this? ll I want to do is stop a drip and it seems I have to replace the tap and some piping!

nodiyer said:
Is this usual?
It's no unusual, unfortunately. BTW, it's the tap tails that are soldered, not the tap.

Are there not regulations to stop this?
No. But even if there were, who do you think would police and/or enforce those regulations? :confused:

All I want to do is stop a drip and it seems I have to replace the tap and some piping!
I'm not clear why you removed the tap. I would have left it in place and serviced it in situ. :confused:

I haven't removed the tap yet. Replacing the O ring did not solve the drip and I have been told that it is the tap that needs replacing. Thats how I found out that it was soldered and I would have to replace the piping and the tap just because someone soldered it instead of doing it properly!

I also don't have any stop cocks under the kitch sink which I thought was standard. I have to turn the warter of to the whole house!!!!!!
:mad:

Why don't you work out (or ask) how to fix the tap, rather than just guessing at the solution and then bleating about someone else's poor workmanship?

Oh sorry did I strike a nerve or something?

I DID ask and the guy who told me the tap needed replacing was a plumber! and no not the one who installed the tap in the first place.

Anyway thank you SO much for your helpful comments.

nodiyer said:
Oh sorry did I strike a nerve or something?
Listen - you came on this site asking for information, and you didn't tell us that you had asked, or were asking, or were about to ask, a plumber.

I gave you detailed information to help you start servicing the taps, but the next thing we hear is that you've removed the spout, and that you plan to remove the tap :!:

So, yes, it did **** me off that (a) you ignored the advice, thus wasting my time, and (b) started moaning about the job done by someone else when you have not one tiny idea of your own about why it was done like that. I mean, you can't even service a tap, and suddenly you feel qualified to criticise a plumber's work. Jeesh. :rolleyes:

I DID ask and the guy who told me the tap needed replacing was a plumber! and no not the one who installed the tap in the first place.
Well then, you're really racking up the count of people whose time you're wasting. :rolleyes:

Anyway thank you SO much for your helpful comments.
Oh good - sarcasm: the preserve of the stupid. Tell you what - just b*gger off.

nodiyer,

Just be careful when asking for advice then 'negging' the replies afterwards. People have spent their own time replying to questions so just a bit of courtesy is all that is required.

Now to the said Tap. It may require 're-seating'. The valve seat can become worn/pitted thus preventing the valve to close fully down. You can purchase a tool to fix this. I don't use B&Q much but I'm sure they will no doubt sell one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back