Replacing my old satchwell thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently trying to replace my old satchwell thermostat, I was given a heatmiser slimline v2 but I’m struggling to get it going, I’m wiring it as :
Red - live
Blue - neutral
Yellow - switch live
Bare- earth

On the heat miser I’ve followed the instructions and put a live loop between live and a1, it’s got power but nothings happening on the screen ??

any ideas or recommendations on a different thermostat that will work with my system boiler

Attachments

• B2745FDF-2F79-4952-A5E8-1B3057F6E763.jpeg
    B2745FDF-2F79-4952-A5E8-1B3057F6E763.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 809
  • 46E5BCBC-61A0-4CCB-B3E1-FDA3B0579914.jpeg
    46E5BCBC-61A0-4CCB-B3E1-FDA3B0579914.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 326
  • B5DC9C3E-904B-4EB5-96B1-C2BD0D2BE8F5.jpeg
    B5DC9C3E-904B-4EB5-96B1-C2BD0D2BE8F5.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 378
Sponsored Links
You sure live and switched were correct? Have you tested any of it?

You sure live and switched were correct? Have you tested any of it?
Yep red’s definitely live and is live and I’m pretty certain yellow is the switch back, could it be a faulty thermostat, it was left over from a job I done and has been sat in my spare room for 12-18 months

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the wiring diagram on the old stat, i too dont think Blues a neutral they tended to use Terminal 4 for the Neutral

Often like this
old-diagram-2-jpg.149991

Post a pic of the wiring diagram on the old stat, i too dont think Blues a neutral they tended to use Terminal 4 for the Neutral

Often like this
old-diagram-2-jpg.149991
My earth (bare ) is where the blue is and my blue is in between the red and yellow in this picture

Here is a clearer one:

upload_2021-3-27_21-14-38.png

1 and 2 are switched lives as per my previous diagram.
The N on the thermostat picture diagram only applies after the appliance M.

I think you need to find the other end of the cable and see what it is connected to.
Whether the bare (earth) wire is being used as a Neutral is not clear.

In the photo where it’s just wires, where’s the bare wire gone? Are you able to safely test these?

As @EFLImpudence says the Neutral is an option with old thermostat, it reduces the hysteresis if connected, but will work without it, and with a modulating boiler using TRV on every radiator so the wall thermostat is only to turn off boiler in summer months having a large difference between on and off temperatures can be an advantage.

So big question is if the neutral is actually connected at the other end of the cable?

As @EFLImpudence says the Neutral is an option with old thermostat, it reduces the hysteresis if connected, but will work without it, and with a modulating boiler using TRV on every radiator so the wall thermostat is only to turn off boiler in summer months having a large difference between on and off temperatures can be an advantage.

So big question is if the neutral is actually connected at the other end of the cable?
Got it going today, the neutraL wasn’t connected at the other end

That's good to know.

However, for the future please remember that Blue does not mean Neutral.
Neutral is the name given to the conductor(wire) which completes the circuit from the load(appliance) back to the supply.
Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

As it was, on your old thermostat the Blue was an unused Switched-Live.
Had it been connected to an actual Neutral at the other end there would have been a BANG when that Blue became live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back