replacing NTE 5 master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just decorated and in the process of replacing all sockets with chrome ones.
I have 2 sockets side by side both NTE5 but one master, one secondary.
When I connect the new main socket I get no dial tone etc despite connecting to the correct numbers ( 2-5)

Also 2 blue wires for the ext are connected to ports A and B on the master. How do these connect on the new one which is just numbered 1-6

thanks

Sponsored Links
The NTE5 is the master socket - You wont have an extension one of these?

You say you have two side by side? Could you explain a little more? This would suggest two lines.

The incomming line goes to the A and B, the extension wiring goes to the removable front on terminals 2, 5 and 3, 4.

Guys - Lets not start the argument of the ringer and the terminal 3. It's boring!

thanks for replying
ok, 4 wires on one cable connected to 2-5 on the back of NTE5( has a capacitor present). 2 other wires on a second cable ( which if I read correctly is the main cable) fix to A and B with 2 other wires from this cable fixed to A and B on the 2nd socket ( no capacitor) next to it

So you have two lines? Two NTE5a's?

Both NTE5a's should have a capacitor, although you will be unable to see it.

Your cable coming in from the network will be connected to the a/b's of the NTE's, it is likely to be a 2 or 3 pair cable. One pair per NTE.

What extension wiring do you have then?

Are you also aware you are not actually meant to be replacing these sockets with ones of your own? I did not fully read your first post where you mention replacing them.

Sponsored Links
so I have 2 cables coming in. The 'main box works and has 3 paired wires although only 4 are connected on one of the cables and the capacitor can be seen in the back. The second does not have a visible capacitor ( although it does have one on the back of the circuit board hidden from view. This second box is linked to a cable with 1 pair going to A and B in the main box and 1 pair going to A and B in the second box. This box does not function - am guessing due to no wires to poles 2-5

am I making sense?

I think a pic or two might help us understand better as it isnt very clear .

sorry , can't help with the pics

OK, one cable is serving 2 boxes, one pair of wires going to A and B and a second pair from the same cable to the same terminals on the other box. A and B are on the back part of the NTE 5

The second cable has 4 wires connected to terminals 2-5 on one box ( teh front part).
This box has a visible capacitor, the other does not.

So how does this configuration work with a new chrome socket that has just terminals 1-6 and no A and B options

You are not meant to change these NTE5's for anything else.

When you say there is a capacitor visible, is this on the removeable lower half? Is it encased in white plastic? If this is what you see, it is the newer version of the NTE which is fully compliant with ADSL technology. It does not make this one any more of a 'master' that the other.

In any case, you know you should not remove these boxes. Are they surface mounted ot flush? If they are on the surface, more than likely they will be on the skirting, and replacing with chrome would be a PITA!

A/B = 5/2 respectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back