Replacing Old Baxi Back Boiler With New Baxi BBU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 'Baxi Bermuda 45/4M' back boiler, which to be fair hasn't given us any problems in 16 years apart from apparently being less efficient than the newer boilers out there.

However, I want to change the the horrible and ugly fire for something a bit more modern looking.

I have just seen the 'Baxi BBU' and I'm thinking this would be a great choice as I can then have a decent looking fire from the Valor range and a nice solid oak fire surround that I have got my eye on.

What I want to know is would this be a straight swap?

My current system consists of:

• Baxi Bermuda 45/4M
    Dual Controller (Separate Hot Water & Central Heating Switches)
    Thermostat (Hall)
    Hot Water Tank + Stat (Airing Cupboard)
    Danfoss 3-Port Valve (Airing Cupboard)
    Grundfoss Pump (Airing Cupboard)
    Emersion Switch (Airing Cupboard)
    Central Heating Expansion Tank (Loft)
    Cold Water Tank (Loft)
    6 x Radiators + TRVs
    1 x Towel Radiator + TRV

Not sure whether it classed as gravity fed or what and would appreciate any advice as to what other work may be required to fit this boiler.

Thanks chaps.

Sponsored Links
You have an open vented fully pumped system.
However, if I remember correctly, the new Bermuda has an electric firefront and its not suitable for a gas fire to be fitted. If I read the blurb correctly it does mention its an electric fire and the choice is limited.
A complete new flue system is also installed to replace your existing liner, so all in all not straight forward, especially as scaffolding may well be required.

Thanks for the quick reply Pete.

You have an open vented fully pumped system.
However, if I remember correctly, the new Bermuda has an electric firefront and its not suitable for a gas fire to be fitted.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the fire front is electric.

So will the 'Baxi BBU' be a straight swap then?

The boiler, fire front and 10m flue costs around £1000, but what can I expect to pay to have something like this fitted?

personally id go for a new wall hung heat only boiler or a combi fitted in the cylinder cupboard (if its a outside facing wall). that way you would get a decent boiler and would not be limited to what fire you have.

Sponsored Links
personally id go for a new wall hung heat only boiler or a combi fitted in the cylinder cupboard (if its a outside facing wall). that way you would get a decent boiler and would not be limited to what fire you have.

The problem is that I'm in a mid-terraced house and as such I have no suitable place to fit a boiler on an outside wall.

Airing cupboard is in virtually the centre of the upstairs and don't want a boiler in a bedroom, which would be the only other alternative.

Another reason I'm thinking of this route is hopefully there will be little disturbance with regard lifting of floorboards in the bedrooms as the existing pipe comes from outside and straight into the side of the chimney breast.

Siting a wall mounted boiler elaswhere (airing cupboard vented through roof pehaps?) would mean running gas supply pipe up and under a bedroom floor and to be honest I want as little disturbance as possible.

Are thes new 'Baxi BBU' boilers not very good then?

Thanks again.

What about a Combi in the Airing Cupboard using a Vertical Balanced flue through the roof?? ;)

iam sure you will have a external wall where the boiler could be fitted, or could it be fitted in the loft-space? the gas supply norm can be run externally.

if you do go with a new back boiler the gas supply may need to be re-run, it may need a condensate pump fitting which are noisy and it will most likely need scaffolding to fit the new flue, which with labour will add a fair bit to the cost, plus i don't think they are that good a boiler :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back