replacing old boards that run under a internal wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of preparing to lay reclaimed oak strip in the upstairs of my house. I have pine boards which are shot and have to come up to then be replaced with the oak. Ive just discovered the boards run continuously under a internal breeze type wall between the 2 bedrooms(is a 1930's house).The joists run parallel with the wall and so I dont think its load bearing wall.

Can anyone help re replacing these boards?

I am hoping that I can cut them either side and "slide" them out and then slide the new boards under to span the two rooms. Wil this work?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I have just been through this and it was really time consuming but I found I could remove the old boards from under the internal wall. IMO You have to do it progressively and naturally you have to provide alternative support and not just leave the wall hanging there !

The technique I used was to fit pairs of "mini joist hangers" to the parallel joists. These hangers secured supporting timber noggins under the wall, i.e the length of the noggin is your joist gap.

http://www.multinail.com.au/deploycontrol/images/upload/mc_truss_joist_hanger_bolt_l.gif

Suggestions :

It's best to remove say two or three boards at a time and then fit a pair of mini hangers and a noggin, then remove a few more boards, fit another noggin. It's really a two man job. Be sure to buy heavy duty hangers not the lightweight stuff. To support the weight of the internal wall I used 100mm deep timber for the noggins not the usual 4 x 2 stuff.

Be careful of electrics inside your internal wall i.e as you remove old floorboards, expect to find mains and lighting cables and plan what to do.

In most cases the internal wall frame will have been nailed to the floorboards so don't just expect them all so slide out easily.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back