Replacing floorboards under an internal wall! pls help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was about to pull up the old floorboards in an upstairs bedroom (1930's terraced house) and replace with T&G pine. Have since realised that the boards run between both bedrooms under an internal wall. If possible I do not want to touch the other half of the boards in the adjacent bedroom!

I have mulled over various solutions, (including giving up and putting carpet down!) Laminate is not an option I want to consider. But as I am only replacing boards in the one room certainly the easiest option would be to cut all the boards off along the internal wall in the room to be re-boarded. The joist on the other side of the wall is only 4 inches away so the optimist in me thinks that the original boards which are remaining will hold any load ok. This will undoubtably weaken the support of the wall though. Just wondering what anyone else would do in my shoes / any tips for easy ways to strengthen?

In my opinion it does not look like the wall is putting much weight on the floorboards at all, presumably most of the weight is borne by the load bearing walls it is suspended between, again could just be the optimist in me talking. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back