Replacing old Boiler costs.

Sponsored Links
Because unless you purchase 2nd hand, you can’t get non-condensing boilers. Mentioned by @fixitflav in post #6.

Are you wanting a combi?
Sorry hadn't realised Combi were Condensing I thought two different types.

Well the OP is to help me decide on a direct change of regular type or a move to combi/condensing.

The answers have pointed me in the direction of a combi. This means from answers double the cost and rearrangement of pipe work and removal of cylinder/tanks.

The combi that was changed at my neighbours to a condensing Valliant a couple of weeks ago has the outside flue along with the usual drain a few feet below and now a sloping down insulated pipe halfway the length of the house into a drain, this pipe is ugly.

The other neighbour last week had their 3 year old combi changed to another combi with new flue and excisting drain a few feet below used.

Thanks this explain my neighbours with the extra pipe.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but I'm not understanding why some boilers have it and majority do not.
My neighbours house is exactly like mine and I would prefer to avoid a 4+ mtr pipe like his. ( Maybe his badly fitted with insulation.)

Sponsored Links
New regulations state they (condensate pipes) must be insulated if terminating externally. Like I said, all new domestic boilers are now condensing, whether heat only, system or combi boiler.

Last edited:
Would I be right in thinking changing an older type boiler with a new boiler of the old way of doing central heating to supply and fit would be £1000'ish?

No!

Like most things in life, people have an idea in their heads of what something they've never had done before "should" cost. And then do some research and find out what it "will" cost.

General rule of thumb is to think of a price then treble it... Believe me, it's usually right.

As others have said, ALL replacement boilers are CONDENSERS and will need a waste pipe that facilitates the condensate fluid, produced by combustion, to be reliably discharged. This is best done internally, via a connection to the existing waste system. This helps prevent freezing during the winter and is not visible from outside.
Sometimes this is not possible and an external condense run is the only solution... This needs to be installed to regulations, which seem to change on an annual basis, to prevent freezing. In many cases, they will still freeze because it's more about individual site conditions than it is nationwide regs.

"
Like most things in life, people have an idea in their heads of what something they've never had done before "should" cost. And then do some research and find out what it "will" cost.
Yes that's the point of this post in doing research.
For like with like replacement it won't be 3 times out from my £1000 'ish. The internet suppliers quotes have shown that Combi would be £3500 for a known popular make with all the changes to the system included. So my £1000 'ish for just a swap of regular type by Ideal would be £1500 at the most. ( based on typical price of this boiler of £700 plus flue would bring up to £1000 plus fitting say £500.

Thanks for info on the drain I've got it know. Strange about that one house is external and others are internal.

Those are the things that are in the fixed price I quoted for a combi boiler at £3500, but TRV's if ordered were £40 each extra.
The neighbour who had just a straight swop of a combi last week the man came first thing and was gone before lunch and only boiler was changed. So doubt a flush was done, he did want to change a radiator but that was declined, but engineer had insisted a 22mm pipe was was changed to 15mm. This house does not have visible condense pipe.

Those are the things that are in the fixed price I quoted for a combi boiler at £3500, but TRV's if ordered were £40 each extra.
The neighbour who had just a straight swop of a combi last week the man came first thing and was gone before lunch and only boiler was changed. So doubt a flush was done, he did want to change a radiator but that was declined, but engineer had insisted a 22mm pipe was was changed to 15mm. This house does not have visible condense pipe.

The tail does not wag the dog.

A combi swap means system likely more up to date than yours.

Do you have TRVs? You are going from what sounds like a very old system, untouched for many years, to a new system.... Standards have changed a lot and there are more things required to bring an ancient OV system up to planet saving levels.

Only attending engineer will know what "has" to be done and how this reflects the cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back