replacing old bolier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think i should replace my old bolier, but...

How do i find out what gas boiler i have?

It heats the whole of my water and CH and it lives behind one of those old gas fires in the living room.

i am concerned that i'll need it to be changed to a newer/different type which will involve lots of work/plumbing ( and expense ).

how much roughly in London do you think this will cost and

where should i go to find someone to do the work, safely and 'cheaply'

Sponsored Links
Depends what part of the smoke, and your parking arrangements.

You want good email Argile found in his profile.

You want Cheap :LOL: Europeans are standing on every corner waiting for the next sucker. :eek:

You have a "Back Boiler" and your concerns are justified.
"Everyone" will want you to have a combi, which may or may not be best for you.
Getting the old system properly flushed is a major importance.

A combi would be one of the cheaper options and around £2000 depending on whats involved and the make of boiler chosen.

A system boiler and a new cylinder would be closer to £3000 but will not have the flow rate limitations of a combi.

Part of your problem is that the energy efficiency regulations require a new cylinder and thermostatic radiator valves to be fitted together with full controls.

The advantage is that you will save about 35% on your gas bill as condensing boilers are much more efficient that your old back boiler.

It seems that you want the job done cheaply. In that case the East Europeans wait at 7 am on Chicelle Road in Cricklewood to be picked up and taken to do work. Dont count on too many skills though and CORGI registration and a safe gas installation should not be expected.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
i dont want to take any rsisk, i have a family!

i just want to know whats the best value for money i can expect.

i've already put thermostatic valves in all of the upstairs radiators and a couple of the downstairs.

having read about a bit as i'm in an end of terrace, it seems i'll have to replace the bolier with a new type one, condensating?

however does this mean that i'll have to replace anything else?
move the boiler?
it's an open system now with a tank in the roof..

btw how do a find out peoples emails eg 'Agile' as recommended above.

also as i asked how do i fiind a good/friendly plumber who will do a good job and who wont try and rip me off, thats what i mean by cheap...

It would be normal to pressurise an existing system as most boilers require this and in the long term a sealed system is more reliable.

If you can do basic plumbing and have the time then you could do the cylinder replacement if you choose a system boiler.

You click on a forum name somewhere where it appears in the listing index to get further details.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back