Replacing old floorboards - 16mm thick, 165mm wide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some old split floorboards. I'm struggling to find any timber that will do the job as the boards are only 16mm thick, which seems quite an odd size. Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find any - or any alternative options? Would greatly appreciate any input.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add that the boards will be painted, so will be visible. So would be good to have as neat a finish as possible (rather than making do with 18mm).

Thanks.

This would all depend on how many boards and where located?

Individual split boards here and there would require 16mm replacements for the tongue and grooves to fit.

Anything less than 18mm would make a poor floor board but a wood shop would run some 16mm T&G off for you. Check prices.

Or, you could use 16mm, off the shelf, square edge. But its a poor solution that might give squeaks.

There are no T&Gs. The existing boards are all square edged. I'd be happy with off the shelf 16mm but I can't find any!

Sponsored Links
Your local timber merchant can mill you 16mm boards if you ask them

There will be a charge on top of the price of the boards

As above then for square edged stuff.

For an exact match, take a piece of the old stuff to whoever is willing to knock up some 16mm for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back