Replacing old Patios joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the best way to chip out all the old grout/pointing then use a pointing gun and bucket handle?

On the photo below someone (not me) smeared it on the slabs. To avoid this is it best to use two pieces of wood then use the gun to put say 5 to one cement/sand mix? Or how about the bags of grow (in photo below)?

20220421_113612.jpg
20220419_155535.jpg
20220410_111215.jpg

Sponsored Links
You'll need to replace the slabs to get rid on the staining, unless you're happy to grind it off.
Then use a semi damp building sand to cement 4 to 1 mix, and pack it in and point with a pointing tool firmly.
Then sweep off the loose after an hour or so
Then keep it damp for a few days to cure.

You'll need to replace the slabs to get rid on the staining, unless you're happy to grind it off.
Then use a semi damp building sand to cement 4 to 1 mix, and pack it in and point with a pointing tool firmly.
Then sweep off the loose after an hour or so
Then keep it damp for a few days to cure.
He should of sponged it off before it dried I guess to avoid staining

Sponsored Links
He should of sponged it off before it dried I guess to avoid staining
No it should not have been such a wet mix and it could have been swept off. Any disaster like that would have to be flushed away wet before it cured and start again.
Also, the sand in your photo is nothing to do with pointing slabs. It's for flexible block paving

No it should not have been such a wet mix and it could have been swept off. Any disaster like that would have to be flushed away wet before it cured and start again.
Also, the sand in your photo is nothing to do with pointing slabs. It's for flexible block paving

This is a patio I was labouring on for my mate, the pointing should be perfectly straight shouldnt it? And is the staining cos the mortar was too wet? I think only special cleaning chemical will remove it now. I'm asking because these two different guys caused stains and I've been asked to do some so wanna learn from their mistakes.

Water added but still crumbly (not like brick mortar) I guess

Might be safer to gaffer tape the edges

20220504_115030.jpg
20220504_115023.jpg
20220504_115033.jpg
20220504_115037.jpg
20220504_105540.jpg

Last edited:
in my mind the main problem with that is the joints are all over the place! Not sure if that's what you mean by straight, but it's not a pointing problem, the issue happened when laying the slabs initially.
upload_2022-5-11_11-41-45.png

In a recent path we had laid, they used "Jointex" which seemingly was just swept/filled into the gaps and left to go off. No guns needed. Not if it could be an option for the OP.

In a recent path we had laid, they used "Jointex" which seemingly was just swept/filled into the gaps and left to go off. No guns needed. Not if it could be an option for the OP.
I meant not lined up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back