replacing old stinky wet room with bath tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a rented property which has a wet room and an electric shower. It is a small wet room (200cm x 180cm). Hot water is supplied by Megaflo 125 hot water system for bathroom basin and kitchen sink only. I would like to replace the wet room with a bath tube, keeping the electric shower in place, and I would need to extend the pipe work from the basin to the bathtub. The walls are plasterboard and I would only need external pipework.
It do not own the property therefore I am not looking at increasing its value but I am planning to live here for a good while. I have no idea of what would be the cost of extending pipework (of about a couple of meters) and installing a bathtub, or how to go about getting quotes (do I have to pay for quotes?) or finding reputable contractors. I heard about website such as www.whatprice.co.uk, are they worth trying?
Any advice is welcome!
Christine

Sponsored Links
well, can u explain to me which part do you think is mental?

Christine

You might consider approaching the landlord with this proposition and ask them to consider part financing this as you mention it will increase the value of the property.

I'm sorry I can't advise on how much this will cost, I should imagine you'll be looking at at least £500 though!

Sponsored Links
I have spoken to the landlord already. It is a Housing Association. They will not replace the existing structure as I have accepted the flat as it was and it works (just about). They have no objections to me doing changes to the bathroom....so, either I pay or I will have to use what is there, and I can assure you is not pleasant., otherwise I wouldn't spend my own money.

Christine

I have spoken to the landlord already. It is a Housing Association. They will not replace the existing structure as I have accepted the flat as it was and it works (just about). They have no objections to me doing changes to the bathroom....so, either I pay or I will have to use what is there, and I can assure you is not pleasant., otherwise I wouldn't spend my own money.

Christine
I think you have a right to question the HA :idea: IF the wetroom is part of a disabled conversion - WHY are they letting you occupy such a property ? and if it`s not - then it should be returned to standard like the rest of the properties (in the block/ estate) They are giving you the runaround :evil: Fight it and get a bathroom out of the t*ssers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back