1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing old wall double light switch

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by XEman, 22 Oct 2021.

1. XEman

XEman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am changing a double wall switch after redecorating a room. The old switch controls two separates lighting circuits. One for wall lights and the other for the room light. I could not find a new two gang one way switch so had to buy a two gang two way switch.
    I would like some advice please on how to wire in the existing leads into the new switch. The old connections are:

Wall light RED to top L1

Wall light BLACK to bottom L2

Room light BLACK to top L2

Room light RED to bottom L1

The old and new switches are shown in the pictures.

Thanks

A8582D2E-54EA-48CF-8598-2B57C815F5DF_1_105_c.jpeg D8698F85-B7C3-4A1B-9550-ED5BC36A0413_1_105_c.jpeg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Just use COM and 1 on both switches.

New COM = Old L1
    New 1 = Old L2
    New 2 = Old L3.

4. XEman

XEman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your reply. In the old switch L3 wasn't used on top or bottom row of terminals. So I have connected the old L1s to their respective Com, The wall light L2 into the New 1 and the Room light L2 into the other New 1. So I now have black wires in the upper terminals marked 1and red wires in the lower terminals marked COM.

With the switches in the Off position I turned the mains power back on. A check with a neon tester showed the wall light switch Black wire Terminal 1 nothing. Wall light switch Terminal 2 with no wire as live. Room light switch terminal 1 with Black wire as live, Room light switch terminal 2 no wire, not live... As per the original switch the on the new one the Wall lights are connected to the LHS, and Room light to the RHS. I was surprised to find live voltage on the wall light terminal 2 which has no connected wire. I have looked to find wiring chart for a double gang two way switch so I can better understand its workings.

5. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As long as one wire in com it does not really matter if other wire in L1 or L2 only thing which will change is if switch is up for on or down for on.

6. XEman

XEman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you. The switches have to be pressed down to turn on the lights and I have mounted the unit with the TOP as marked at the top. I was just puzzled to find a live in Terminal 2 of the wall light section when the wire goes into Terminal 1.

7. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The 2-way switches are changeover. When the switch is 'off' L2 will be live, when the switch is 'on' L1 will be live.

8. Sponsored Links