Replacing oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our old Whirlpool double oven has died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a single oven. I'm just a bit confused over the amp ratings. The oven I'm looking at requires a 16a circuit but I am not sure how to tell what I currently have. I know the following:

1) the over and gas cooker share a switch with no visible plug - I imagine they are wired behind
2) the current oven is a Whirlpool AKP695/AV - Googling the model number only gives me replacement parts but no details on the original oven
3) the sticker in the oven says 230v 4.2kw. That gives me 18.2 amps right? So basically I can replace it with anything?
4) the fusebox switch to the cooker/oven has B32 RCBO on it - does that mean a max of 32 amps?

It is a fairly old house but apparently the wiring was redone a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
Turn off the RCBO. Apart from the old oven, does anything else stop working? Especially sockets?

Yes, "B32" does mean it is rated at 32Amps, and the circuit cable SHOULD be of appropriate size.

The old oven should not be supplied via a plug and socket, it should have a wired connection unit with large terminals, typically below worktop height and behind or beside the oven and/or cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back