Replacing patio with lawn - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace a patio that the previous owner of my house placed in the front garden. The garden is around 9'x17' and the patio sits in the middle at 7'x15'. The patio wasn't dug down to be level with the garden so it sits around two inches above the level of the garden. It also has a hardcore base of around 6 inches.

It's ugly and I want to get rid of it. Ideally, I'd like to turf the whole area. The patio slabs came up easily but the hardcore base has been more of a problem. I couldn't crack it with a sledgehammer so I called someone to quote for removing it and it came back at quite a lot.

My question is, could I leave that hardcore base in there and turf over it if I covered it with a couple of inches of topsoil? I understand drainage could be an issue but thought maybe it could be OK since the hardcore doesn't cover the whole garden, there's a border of around a foot running right the way round.

I'm not green fingered so please go easy if I'm being a bit ignorant here! If this isn't possible I might have to look for some other solution, like filling the area which woodchips and creating raised planters.

Sponsored Links
No dont do it. you need to remove it, it would make for a terrible lawn.

You could happily hire a breaker and do it yourself if the quotes were to much. A morning with a hydraulic breaker and an afternoon to fill a small skip. Maybe £80 for a breaker and £150 for skip? Depending on where you are could be less?

Sponsored Links
Lidl are doing a breaker for £100 at the moment.

Buy one and take your time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back