replacing plasterboard ceiling in flat roof - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the Building Inspector paid a surprise visit and noticed my removal of the plasterboard in the ceiling of a flat roof. Rather then merely screw in a new piece it seemed logical to remove the old, and possibly install insulation if none was present.
The BI is insisting on increasing the depth of the roof void (to 8inches), put insulation in and roof vents, and fire sock barrier at roof level with neighbouring property. Roof vents are a real pain on a 3 storey building.
My glib suggestion to put the damaged plasterboard back on and cover with new wasn't met with much support!
Can he insist on such measures me having only tried to replace old plasterboard with new?
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Why did the building inspector 'just turn up'?

and

What is the full extent of the works you are doing in the property that require building regs approval?

There was a hole in the side of the house visable from the road, which was used to give enough lateral movement to put an oak beam in - replacing a downstairs internal wall. It had attracted neighbours attention. Other than the beam which i'm just sending structural calcs, no other Bi work - as far as I can see, other than rewire (approved contractor) Ie no alterations extensions changes in insulation

Sponsored Links
So did you plan to you carry out the works without Building Regs? It seems odd they'd just turn up if an application had been made or Building Notice applied for. If not you'll have got their back up! When renovation of existing thermal elements ie a roof is being undertaken, there is a requirement to upgrade the element to the required standards and this is likely to include the addition of adequate ventilation. The regs are pretty clear tbh. The hassle of actually carrying it out is unlikely to hold much argument and to be fair, it should be ventilated. TBH I don't know whether you could just stick the existing boards back up and forget about it, my instinct would be that that wouldn't wash either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back